The Schema is used to identify information relating to each product you sell, from price to reviews to product ID to reviews to manufacturer information. In short, it's used to send additional information to popular platforms, including support for Google Rich Snippets, Pinterest Rich Pins, Facebook Open Graph, and Twitter Cards.
NOTE: Limited product schema is available for all NRO merchants (without any add-ons), but doesn't include all the features included with Product Schema for NRO.
Product Schema for NRO includes:
1) Support for Google Rich Snippets, including:
- Condition (as either a static value or a product attribute, supports New, Used, Damaged, and Refurbished)
- Availability (InStock, OutOfStock, and InStoreOnly)
- Sale pricing
- Multiple “Offers” for each variant of configurable/grouped products
- Google Sitelinks Search Box
Note that Google uses this product schema (also referred to as “microdata”) to determine whether the pricing and availability info submitted to Google Shopping matches what's shown on your site. If they don't match, Google may disapprove those products. Product Schema for NRO can help resolve this kind of mismatch.
For more information, refer to Google's Rich Snippet FAQs.
2) Support for Pinterest Rich Pins
Rich Pins are Pins that include extra information right on the Pin itself. Pinterest supports six types of Rich Pins, including Product. Product rich pins make it easy for people to buy from you by including real-time pricing, availability, and where to shop.
You'll need a Pinterest account in order to use Rich Pins, and you must apply in order for Rich Pins to be enabled (visit Pinterest for Business to get started). Once you've enabled Schema.org Microdata, visit Pinterest's Rich Pin URL Debugger to validate any Product Detail Page URL from your storefront, then Pinterest will email you once your Rich Pins are approved.
3) Support for Facebook Open Graph
Facebook Open Graph promotes integration between Facebook and other websites by allowing them to become rich "graph" objects with the same functionality as other Facebook objects.
4) Support for Twitter Cards
5) Ability to choose which product attribute to use for the Description tag that's shared with the schema
|Documentation and Resources||
Documentation (from NCR)
How to Boost Your SEO by Using Schema Markup (from third-party blog)
Configuration, personalized training, and technical support are not included with the purchase price of the extension.