Can we move the item descriptions (currently below the item image) to instead display on the right of the item image (above the "Add to Cart" button)?
Yes, with a custom mapping file. A custom mapping file allows you to change the default placement of data on your website. Contact Professional Services for more information on custom mapping files.
But before you start moving data around, it's important to understand the all the built-in features first, including both the long and short description fields:
- Long Description - Complete product details displayed in the tabbed area
- Where it displays: This is the full item description that displays in the tabbed area on the product detail page, below the item image.
- Where it comes from: This field comes from the HTML Description field on the Ecommerce tab of Inventory / Items in Counterpoint. If you enter long descriptions in NRO, they will be overwritten next time you publish data from Counterpoint.
- Short Description - Product summary displayed above the Add to Cart button
- Where it displays: This product summary displays above the Buy button on the product detail pages, and it also displays on category pages when in List view (as opposed to Grid view).
- Where it comes from: This field comes from an item note field in Counterpoint named NRO-SHORTDESC. See Using the Short Description Field in the Help Center for details. If you enter short descriptions in NRO, they will be overwritten next time you publish data from Counterpoint.
The purpose of two areas is so that you can display some content above the fold, but still have the option for full details below in the tabbed area. See these examples on the NRO Demo Store:
- Text: #APP-1920 or #1691
- Text and Images (using HTML): #XMAS-001 or #JWL-955
- Video (hosted on YouTube): #VID-005
- NOTE: You can optionally include HTML in your long and short descriptions. However, because Counterpoint doesn't support double quotes, you must replace all double quotes with single quotes in your HTML.
BUT, if you only want to use one field and not both, then we can certainly use a custom mapping file to "move" the long description field above the fold.