By default, the built-in home page layout includes the following elements:
- Slideshow: To update slides, select CMS / Home Page Slideshow
- Banner images: To update images, select CMS / Pages > celebrity_home
- New+Sale Slider: Dynamically displays new and sale items based on Counterpoint data
Home Page Ideas
While the home page includes default content, it's really a "blank canvas" you can edit as you please. For example, you could:
- Add a paragraph or two of SEO-friendly text about your business — just use the WYSIWYG editor and add text, more images, and links as desired
- Replace the three banner images with one taller banner image — 460px x 254px
- Remove the banner images and fill the entire home page with a large slideshow — you'll need good CSS skills for this
- Remove the new+sale slider — simply delete the line of code that calls it, see where in the screenshot below
- Incorporate cool new add-ons, like LookBook Pro and NRO Product Blocks, below
- See what others are doing at the NRO Design Gallery
Need help? If you need help making changes to your home page, contact Professional Services for assistance.
To edit the home page contents, select CMS / Pages > celebrity_home. Click the Show/Hide Editor button to switch between code view and the user-friendly WYSIWYG editor. Note that in both views, you'll only see placeholder content for the slideshow and the New+Sale slider since they rely on data controlled elsewhere.
On the Page Information tab, be sure to edit the Page Title and replace "Celebrity Them - Home Page" with "Your Store Name - Home Page". This field is used in search engine marketing and displays in the browser tab when viewing your storefront — it should include your store name.
Select CMS / Home Page Slideshow, and click the Add Slide button to create a new slide:
- Title: Enter text to display on top of the image, or leave blank if desired
- Link: If you don't know the link to a product or category page, go to your storefront and navigate to the desired landing page and copy and paste the address. Note that this slideshow only supports internal site links, not links to external sites like facebook.
- Show Details Button: If you enable the button, then only the button portion will link to the landing page as opposed to the entire image (most prefer to let the entire image serve as the link)
- Image: If using the default slideshow dimensions, the slide images are 694px x 460px. Note: Don't include spaces in your image file names.
- Status: Disable any slides you don't currently need and save them for future use
- Sort Order: Lower numbers display first
NRO includes one built-in slideshow for your home page. If you want to add more slideshows to other pages, for example the top of a category page, see Image Slider for NRO.
To configure the slideshow settings, select System / Configuration / Home Page Slideshow Settings.
You can choose from dozens of transition effects and speed up or slow down the slides. (TIP: The timings are in milliseconds, so for 5 seconds enter 5000). You can also choose to disable the timeline, the scrolling line that's used as a visual indicator of how long until the next slide displays.
To update images, select CMS / Pages > celebrity_home. Click the Show/Hide Editor button to switch between code view and the user-friendly WYSIWYG editor.
From System / Configuration / Theme Settings, you can specify whether to display new items only, or new and sale Items together. The New+Sale Slider dynamically displays new and sale items based on Counterpoint data:
- To populate new arrivals, you must have products flagged as new with a valid 'new until date' in Counterpoint (on the Ecommerce tab of Inventory / Items).
- To populate sale items, you must have sale prices defined in Counterpoint.
For more ideas and to learn how to change the graphic overlays, see Displaying Featured Items Instead of New Arrivals.
Looking for something different for your home page? Take a look at two hot new extensions: Lookbook Pro for NRO and NRO Product Blocks. Both extensions can be seen on the home page of the Demo Extras Store